In the last post, I showed you my recipe for vegan Parmesan (post link). Now we can make vegan pesto! All you need is some of your vegan Parmesan (assuming you haven’t eaten it all already), olive oil, basil, garlic, and a bit of salt.
I love making pesto and storing it in the fridge or freezer for later. I’ve even taken frozen pesto on vacation so we can have a quick meal. It takes about 10 minutes to boil pasta and you’ve got lunch or dinner! (And much cheaper than going out to eat.)
If you want to add some extra greens to your diet, this is the perfect recipe to add some kale. I keep de-stemmed kale in the freezer so I can just throw everything in the food processor to get the kale really blended in there.
- Food processor
- 1 cup vegan Parmesan see separate post on thriftyveganeats
- 1 cup olive oil
- 8 cubes frozen basil I used Dorot brand
- 3 cubes frozen garlic Dorot
- 1 cup kale (destemmed) optional
- 1 tsp salt more or less, to taste
- Put all ingredients in food processor and mix until well blended.
- Store in airtight container in freezer or refrigerator.
You’ll notice I use mason jars for EVERYTHING! I got into canning a few years back and went a little nuts buying canning jars. I don’t can so much these days, but I use the jars all the time.