Vegan Kale Ricotta (and Lasagna)
I’ve been meaning to write this up because this is a key ingredient if you want to make vegan lasagna. It’s tasty and filling and all you need to go on to making lasagna is a jar of pasta sauce and some lasagna noodles. My preference is the no-bake ones from Barilla.
But back to the ricotta!
Vegan Kale Ricotta
- Food processor
- 2 cups cashew pieces soaked
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3-4 cubes frozen basil
- 3-4 cubes frozen garlic or 3-4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 bunch kale separated from stems
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast or to taste
- Soak cashews in boiling water until soft. Or if you are good at planning ahead, soak them in the fridge overnight.
- Add all ingredients to food processor and blend until smooth. If you need, add a bit of water to aid in blending.
This makes about 3 cups and I used about half to make a 9×13” lasagna. I do a layer of slightly watered down pasta sauce (about 1 cup water to a jar of pasta sauce), then a layer of no-bake gluten-free lasagna noodles. Then a few blobs of ricotta and a bit more sauce for the next two layers. The top layer is noodles and the last bit of the sauce with a bit of Italian seasoning. You can add vegan cheese if you want. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for about an hour. Estimated cost of lasagna is $2 for sauce, $3 for noodles and $5 for vegan ricotta. $10 fed the 4 of us two dinners, so 8 servings.